Makes 4 cups
- 6 medium beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 8 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle beets with olive oil and roast in parchment-lined foil until tender, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, drizzle garlic cloves with oil and roast in separate foil packet, about 30 minutes (add the garlic after the beets have roasted for 30 minutes and let them both cook for another 30). Unwrap beets, let cool, peel, and quarter. Squeeze garlic from skin. Set aside. (TIP: Orlando usually roasts an entire head of garlic and keeps the leftovers in the fridge for other recipes we make that week.)
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add beets and garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and 4 cups vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Let cool slightly, then puree in a blender until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and adjust seasoning to taste.